The Ares Operating System #
Ares is a new operating system under development.
System design #
The base of the system is the Helios microkernel. On top of this are several additional layers:
- Mercury: an environment for device drivers
- Venus: a collection of real-world drivers for Mercury
- Gaia: a userspace programming environment
- Luna: a POSIX programming environment
- Ares: a high-level operating system; package manager, desktop, etc
At this time, Helios and Mercury are the focus of development. This website collects development resources and documentation to facilitate this work. Resources for end-users are not available at this time.
Source code for all Ares-related projects is available on SourceHut. Various additional resources are available:
We meet in #helios on irc.libera.chat for development discussions.